Elite pledges 10% of its profits to WWF
This year Elite have donated £6,000 to WWF UK to help towards the Forests of New Guinea Conservation Program. WWF are working with local communities to save this most pristine forest with its unique wild life which is being destroyed by loggers who are cutting it down at a mind boggling rate for palm oil plantations. Eliteís support will help towards creating protected areas so that the rain forests and itís unique species are ensured a safe future.
The mission of WWF - the global environment network - is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment, and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by:
- conserving the world's biological diversity;
- ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources
- reducing pollution and wasteful consumption.
Why protect rare and endangered species?
Protecting the world's species and their habitats lies at the heart of WWF's mission to conserve the earth's biodiversity and was the prime reason for the organisation's establishment in 1961.
The goals of WWF UK are:
- to reduce threats - such as wildlife trade and habitat loss - to wild populations of 12 'flagship' species groups:
- Elephant (Asian and African)
- Giant panda
- Golden lion tamarin
- Hawksbill turtle
- Humpback whale
- Iberian lynx
- Mountain gorilla
- Rhino (black, Sumatran, Javan and one-horned)
- Snow leopard
- to ensure wildlife trade does not threaten additional selected wild populations of plants and animals - including the musk deer, sharks, sturgeon, Tibetan antelope and mahogany.
At Elite we believe that, the further we reach across the world, whether as a company or as people, the greater are our responsibilities - to our fellow human beings, to this planet and to the wonderful diversity of creatures with which we share it.
This year we have supported the New Guinea and Islands project.